Welcome to the Soil Water project!
Soil Water provides soil water retention functions and soil hydraulic conductivity functions and pedotransfer functions to estimate their parameter from easily available soil properties.
DescriptionSoil Water provides (1) the package "soilwaterfun", a collection of widely used soil water retention functions (van Genuchten, Brooks & Corey, Campbell) and soil hydraulic conductivity functions (Mualem-van Genuchten, Brooks & Corey, Campbell) and (2) the package "soilwaterptf", a collection of so called "pedotransfer functions" (PTFs) for estimating the parameters of soil water retention and hydraulic conductivity functions from easily available soil properties (typically the texture, organic carbon content and bulk density). At the moment, only Wösten et al. 1999 PTFs for the van Genuchten and Mualem-van Genuchten functions are implemented.
Where to find the package
- The package binaries should be available on r-forge soon.
- The package source are available on the project SCM page.
- The project summary page you can find here.
- The logfile of changes made to the package can be found here (soilwaterfun) and here (soilwaterptf).
- About the author.
Related projectsOther projects exists that provides useful soil-related R functions (toolboxes for the pedometrician):
Other packages that may interest soil scientists are:
- aqp. 'Algorithms for Quantitative Pedology';
- soiltexture. a set of R functions designed to produce texture triangle plots and classify soil texture data according to texture classification systems (and much more);
- soil.spec. Soil spectral data exploration and regression functions;
- HydroMe. Estimation of Soil Hydraulic Parameters from Experimental Data;
- SoPhy. A defunct package that implemented a 2D water infiltration model into R;
Help wanted!If you have some R functions implementing soil water retention functions or soil hydraulic conductivity functions or pedotransfer functions for estimating their parameters (published in peer-reviewed journals), please make them available to the R-soil-science community! (either in this package or in a dedicated package you may create). The only things needed are (1) the function's R code (2) some definition and units of the input parameters, (3) a working example, (4) one reference article and (5) eventual dependences on other R packages.
DisclaimerThe packages are provided with no guarantees of any king by the author. The packages have not yet been used and tested extensively by external users, so if you use it for important work, please check the code of the functions (most of them are short and easy to understand). Please help me to make this package better by reporting any problem in the functions or their documentation.
InstallationFor installing the package, try first:
install.packages("soilwaterfun", repos = "http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
install.packages("soilwaterptf", repos = "http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
If it doesn't work, or if you don't have the latest release of R, try instead:
install.packages("soilwaterfun", repos = "http://R-Forge.R-project.org", type = "source")
install.packages("soilwaterptf", repos = "http://R-Forge.R-project.org", type = "source")
Road map(suceptible to changes):
Feedbacks on the package are welcome (contact details here).
This webpage is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.